Different Types of Filaments for 3D Printers

It is a very exciting time in the realm of 3D printing. The new technology is opening up doors and imaginations to its many applications. The news is littered with tales of all the incredible tasks that 3D printing is now making readily available. 3D printers are now generating limbs for amputees, toys, tools, microchips, and even cars amongst many other things. The possibilities that this new printing technology allows for are endless.

Copier Supply Store is an online filament supplier for 3D printers, and our printing professionals know that there are countless things that can be printed of which require an array of materials in regards to filaments. Here is a quick break down from Copier Supply Store of some of the most common 3D printer filament materials.

  • PLA- One of the two most commonly used 3D printing materials. It is often considered the default recommended material for any desktop 3D printers. Has a broad range of application.
  • ABS- Common 3D printing material that is best used for making parts to withstand high temperature. Less brittle then PLA plastic.
  • Nylon- This is an incredibly strong, durable, and versatile 3D printing material. Flexible when thin, but lends itself well to things like living hinges and other functional properties.
  • PET- An industrial strength filament with great strength and FDA approved for food containers and tools used for food consumption.
  • TPE- Flexible 3D printing material that feels and acts much like flexible rubber.
  • TPU- An elastic, oil/grease resistant, and abrasion resistant material.

Posted in 3D printing, Filaments | Comments Off